Dyslexic font:

Other complaints processes

There are existing processes you can use to make complaints or raise issues with, for example, a provider or a government agency. We can support you with that.

You have the right to give feedback, complaints and raise issues with other organisation, service providers or government agencies.  You can choose to use and access these processes independently or if you would like support you can talk with your Kaitūhono/Connector, or contact us:

  • phone 0800 626 255 or 0800 MANA55 

Examples of other complaints processes available to you

Human Rights Commission

The Human Rights Commission provides information and resolves disputes about unlawful discrimination. You can complain if you have been discriminated against in many areas of public life, such as work, education, official practice and policy, and the provision of goods and services.  

Visit the Human Rights Commission website (external website)

Health and Disability Commissioner

The Health and Disability Commissioner takes complaints about health or disability services which may have breached the Code of Health or Disability Services Consumer Rights. Complaints can be made online, by email, letter or telephone. The Health and Disability Commissioner may refer complaints to the Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service to resolve.

Visit the Health and Disability Commissioner's website (external website)

Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service

The Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service is an advocacy service provided under the Health and Disability Commissioner Act 1994. Advocates support people who have issues with health or disability services to resolve these independent of the Health and Disability Commissioner. If issues are unresolved, advocates can refer the issue to the Health and Disability Commissioner.

Visit the Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service's website (external website)

Health and disability service provider complaints processes

All health and disability providers are required to have a complaints process for consumers, and clearly communicate how consumers can make a complaint. Complaints processes can differ between providers. However, the Health and Disability Commissioner website has resources to help providers work through complaints management.

Ministry of Health, Disability Support Services

Ministry of Health Disability Support Services takes complaints about disability support providers that it contracts with. These complaints can be received over the phone or by email.

Visit the Ministry of Health's website (external website)

Office of the Ombudsman

If you think you have been treated unfairly by a central or local government agency, the Ombudsman may be able to help. You can also complain to the Ombudsman if you are concerned with how an agency has responded to an Official Information Act request. You can complain online, by email, fax or letter.

Visit the Office of the Ombudsman's website (external website)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner’s office investigates complaints about breaches of privacy and examines how proposed legislation may affect individual privacy. The Privacy Commissioner uses the Privacy Code when assessing complaints. Complaints can be made over the phone, by email, or through an online form.

Visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner's website (external website)

Office of the Children’s Commissioner

The Office of the Children’s Commissioner advocates for the interest and rights of children and young people. They have functions under the Children’s Commissioner Act 2003. They ensure that the Government complies with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Visit the Office of the Children's Commissioner website (external website)

Employment Relations Authority

The Employment Relations Authority (ERA) helps to resolve employment relations problems. If an employee has a dispute with their manager or the union, or an employer has a dispute with staff, the ERA can help. Issues resolved include unjust dismissal, unpaid wages, or failure to meet the terms of employment. The ERA helps with disputes which cannot be solved through mediation.

Visit the Employment Relations Authority website (external website)

Before going to the ERA, the employer and employee must work together to solve the relationship problem, and try mediation through MBIE’s free mediation service.

Visit Employment New Zealand's website (external website)

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993

The Consumer Guarantees Act protects consumers by allowing them to seek repairs, refunds or replacements when goods are faulty, and by setting minimum guarantees for all goods and services. If your rights have been breached under the Consumer Guarantees Act, you can settle your dispute at the Disputes Tribunal. A lawyer is not required.

Visit the Consumer Protection website (external website)

Professional bodies

Many professionals’ practice is covered by specific professional organisations that address concerns raised about their members.